Safe to "fix" boys

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3chins

I have a 2 year old mama and her 1 year old son[different cage] and mama's
3 month old baby which I was told was a girl. I would like to fix the boy so he can be in the same cage with them and have playtime together.
I don't want babies, I bought the 3 as a set off Craigslist and am hoping mama didn't get preg by son when they were delivered.

So is it safe to neuter the boy? Idea on the cost? I know it would be expensive but worth it.

As long as you have the neutering done by a qualified Exotic Vet, you should be fine.

I have had 3 boys neutered by Dr. Kevin Fitzgerald of Alameda East in Denver, and they all recovered nicely with only minor complications. Be sure to ask how many chinchilla neuters he/she has done.

Cost will depend on where you are located.

You will have to keep them separated for a period after the neutering to allow time for all of his sperm to be gone. Your vet will tell you how long.

My last surgery was about 4 years ago and it was under $200.

I had one of my boys fixed by my vet and he was fine. Like said above it is under $200 but above $100. I dont remember the exact cost because it was over a year ago. I was thinking of neutering my new boy so he can have play time with the other two, but he can't be housed with them because there are 2 boys and 1 girl.

I had 5 boys fixed and they all did fine. I would look for a qualified vet. The cost for my last chin was $150.00.

Yikes, $600!? I had Groo done (with laser) for around $200. He stopped eating for a while and I had to hand feed for a week or two, but other than that he did fine and is now happily living with his "girlfriend".

Wow 600...that is more than a vet would charge for a large dog in heat spay with laser. Granted Chin anesthesia is more complex by geesh that seems really high.

This vet is 45 minutes away. I am wondering if I should check in a "big" city 2 hours away, just worry about the extra stress of the longer drive.

Back