Red Ears

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X

xBetterBeSocialx

I've noticed that Templeton's ears get red after he comes out to play or snuggle. They are warm, but not sensitive to the touch. It doesn't seem to bother him, so I'm wondering if all the moving around just gets his blood pumping? Once he goes back in his cage and relaxes the color seems to go back to normal. Is this normal, or does he need to see a vet? He is a beige, by the way...I don't know if that makes a difference or not. :halo:

It means he's over-heated. Make sure the room he's in is kept cool.

But playing out of the cage can do that. My first two boys would get red ears even though their room was nice and chilly while they were out playing.

Yea...his room is kept quite brisk (which means FREEZING for me!! :rofl:) and it only happens when he comes out, so I was thinking that might be the case. Is there anything I can do to help him cool down if he does get hot? He has a marble slate, but he doesn't use it too much.

Chins use their ears to cool. My assumption is that as the circulatory system tries to cool the body it raises to the surface. You probably notice individual blood vessels are more pronounced when his ears are red. My chinnie, Chiquita (homo beige), likes to fall asleep in my lap and when she gets up, her ears are redder...probably because she gets really warm snuggled there. I don't suppose it would be safe during the hotter months.

Do you know exactly what temperature the room is on average? They shouldn't overheat THAT easily.
Chiquita's ears get that way even in a room that is 55 if she snuggles in my lap for 10-15 mins.

That's snuggling, I'm talking about just coming out of the cage. Are the ears red after say an hour of playtime or right as the chin comes out? If it's pretty soon after the chin comes out, then either playtime should be shortened or the room cooler.

I don't know what the temperature is in the room, but his ears don't get red until a good 25 - 35 minutes of bouncing around and snuggling.

Beiges ears will get red more easily, I've found with my chins. You could try shortening the amount of time you let him out, though.

Also, I suggest you put a thermometer in that room, just to keep check.

The room is 60 degrees. I just had to get home from school to check...lol. I kept track of his ears when I played with him, though, and it seems like if he sits still for a few minutes, they will go back to their normal color.

I think he will be fine. He isn't laying on his side or anything of that sort, is he? My beige will do the same thing (get red ears after play time). It just seems like a trait they have.

Fatty's ears get like that only after I put him back in his cage. It's like he heats up only when he goes to sleep even when it's freezing in the room. He's a very strange little guy. I know that half the people on this forum are probably going to jump down my throat for doing this but when he gets like that i kind of dampen his ears with cool water. his ears go back to normal after that.

Back