Poor Nana had an accident

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virus

I have two female chins, Odelma and Nana, living together. Nana came to live with us two years ago: my friend, who is a chin breeder, was taking care of our Odelma while our trip. She was also taking care of Nana, whose previous owner coudn't keep her anymore. One night Ode broke out from her cage (my friend's boyfriend had set the roof poorly) and found Nana's cage. Together they broke Nana's cage door and in the morning there they were - sleeping side by side. And of course I took touchingly friendly, rat-like ugly and homeless Nana with us as soon as I went to pick Ode. I still have some suspicions that this was a set-up, but my friend denies... ;)

Nana's left eye is obviously blind. She startles if touched from that side suddenly and she won't react in any movement on her left. If she can hear my hand coming (I snap my fingers lightly), she turns her head to me normally.

In spite of her poor eyesight she jumps, climbs and runs very well managing her way usually safely. But yesterday she ran with full speed - hitting her face into sharp-edged wooden parrot ladder! Her nose got instantly swollen and bled a lot, she drooped her ears in great pain, she had trouble breathing due the clotting blood and she wiped her nose with despair! Her teeth seemed to be OK, as well as her jaw bones, but she was in agony. Some moments later she accepted a little treat, chewing carefully, not seeming to enjoy too much... I took her right away to a good chin vet who checked her and gave some instructions how to survey her: if there's any teeth, eye or brain issues or even more serious damage, it'll show in next couple of days. Back home I let Nana breathe steam from hot water to help the clots come out and she had some medicine for the pain, too. Last night she seemed to be better already, she ate quite well, drank water and her poos are fine. Today she wanted to come out and carefully ran a little. It made her snort for a while, but now she seems to be sleeping calmly. I can see she'd like a sand bath very much - there's still reddish stains on her breast and her fur looks matted - but I don't want the sand dust to irritate her cavities just yet.

Let's hope Nana gets better and avoids any serious consequences. No signs of anything disturbing yet, but I can't let myself hope too much.
:tissue:

I would hold off on the dust bath until she recovers. I would also rearrange her cage to make sure there is nothing else she can get hurt on and remove the parrot ladder.

Did the vet give her any antibiotics?

I hope she is feeling better soon.

Thank you, Lan and Brandon. Feisty, Nana got a prescription for antibiotics in case she'll get some eye symptoms or if there'll be signs of a respiratory infection. Since she's so vulnerable to them both right now, I don't want to risk it with allowing her a bath. Let's hope there won't be need for the antibiotics, it upsets a chin's stomach so easily. Though it's relieving to know that the medicine is available, if there's a need.

The damned and guilty parrot ladder was leaning against the cage and the girls were running around in the room. That's why Nana's speed was so fast and she hit so hard. :(

Awww - Poor Nana. We'll keep all paws crossed that she feels better very soon and is up to her usual boisterous self!

Hope Nana feels better soon! Sending good wishes!

Sending wishes for Nana to have a speedy recovery!

One time, one of our chinchillas was out for play time, and something spooked him, causing him to run face first into his cage. His front tooth actually split his lip, and was sticking out the front. By the time he got to the vet he was jumping around and happy. The vet took one look, disinfected it, and said call me if it starts to look like it is getting infected. He healed up really nicely, though his lip looked really funny for a while lol.

My point is that chins are tough animals. I hope Nana feels better soon!:flowers:

Thank you, guys! Nana has gotten quite well - she runs around and explores things as she usually does. There's no signs of eye problems and she breathes normally now. Her teeth seem to be fine so far and she has stopped sneezing and snorting.

I bought her a present for her recovery: a light tube made of thin wood "cords" with a jingle bell inside. She loves to carry it around, but I trust it to be perfectly chin safe only after the bell is removed (which i presume to be quite soon - they love to chew it, too :D). Until then they may play with it under supervision.

Back