Eye question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Aladdin'smommy

I got my black velvet, Roly, as a rescue from JamieLynn on cnq 2 years ago this March. He has a good half of his left ear gone and missing fur between his eyes from an injury before I got him. Well his left eye gets some funky discharge every so often. He as been to two different vets for it at different times and neither could find a reason for the discharge, but dispensed the same eye drops just for good measure. Whether I use the drops or not, it usually clears up in the same amount of time. I clean his eyes daily to keep it from gunking up too bad. Does anyone have any idea why his eye does this? Sometimes the right one will do it to, but not to the extent of the left. He lives with my two other boys and neither of them have this issue.

There are lots of possibilities - if it were my chin, I would ask for a culture since the drops haven't solved the problem. The results should help target the antibiotic used to the type of infection. An X-ray might be a good idea too, since a root overgrowth (malocclusion) can cause eye irritation and an increased susceptibility to infection. What kind of bedding/dust are you using? It could be also a result of an allergy or sensitivity. Maybe switching to fleece, carefresh, or aspen would help alleviate the problem.

Good luck!
Steph

we did x-rays with both vets and his teeth look fine. I've used carefresh, pine, and aspen. I tried fleece and it didn't help and was really messy so we went back to aspen. His eyes have also been stained to rule out any olcers or scratches. It's not on going, just pops up every so often so that's why the vets don't know what it is.

Back