Input on malo from experienced rancher

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6Dusters

I'm well aware what malo is. I have a female rescue who came with her mother some years back. Mother is fine. I took the daughter ( Sunni ) to the vet in October and had two molars ground down. They were spurs that curled inwards on both sides. No exrays done. No other teeth showing problems. ( animals also have had access to several types of hay cuts )

She is fine now. Just wondering at what point will she need to be seen again? She gained all her weight back and is eating drinking fine.

Is this something that will come back? I'm aware that there are genetic factors as well as injury.

If any new owners are reading this thread, I will tell you what symptoms she had.
1. Gagging every once in a while for months. Not consistant. Eating and drinking. Gave me no reason at that point to think anything was wrong.
2. Weight loss
3. Pawing at her cheek.
4. Not taking a snack

This animal will NEVER be bred. Want to make it clear that this animal is a rescue pet only animal. Many of you who know me from previous posts know that I will am a respondsible rancher. But the new people may not know this.

Thanks for any input.
Alex

Depending on the reason of a curl/point it will probably come back. I'm going to assume that the cause of it is because the top and bottom molars do not match up properly to keep that area ground down. Feeding various types of hay can encourage back molar action and help wear it down more.

Back