Lightest survived birth weight

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a kit, Isabel, that is 10 weeks old. She was a triplet and weighed 20g at birth. Her brothers were much bigger. After the brothers were weaned and she had mom to herself she gained weight much quicker but still took longer to wean. She is now a normal weight and is a happy little kit. I did get her a sister, Mabel, who is 5 weeks older to keep her company. I have noticed that Isabel tries to nurse on Mabel. It's sweet really and Mabel doesn't mind. The breeder I got her from said that older females often take care of the younger. I'm just glad she is a happy little chin. :)

Sorry to hear the little one passed. These babies can be so trying when you have a problem with them after birth. Especially when you try to do everything you can to help them along. Glad they were in your hands. I know you did your best. Hugs

Our newest tiny baby is from a litter of triplets. The sibs weighed in at 52 and 57 grams. He weighs only 23 grams. I am supplementing the entire litter to avoid fighting - the little guy got nipped on the nose already, but he is a fighter. When I discovered the birth the little one was in front of mom and I thought he was still born until I spoke to momma and the baby got up and ran across the cage. 23 grams of spunk is quite the sight to see. I am currently naming chins with names from Tolkien's books. I saw the perfect name in the list for him - Gram (since he only weighs a few of them). He is taking the milk from me and actually gained 2 grams overnight! I have my fingers crossed. By the way, his sister and brother will put him between them and keep him warm while their mother eats. It is do cute because he is less than 1/2 of their weight.

I will have to post some pictures that I took with my phone. Sad to say, the little one did not survive. We lost him on day 5. He was bouncing around and eating like a little piggy when I went to be and the next day he was laying at the front of the cage, dead. I will miss that little trooper.

Back