Luna's adventure

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raindog

As you may know Luna has had some issues with her tummy and food. So recently she stopped eating again and in the couple of days of the Carnivore Care and Pepcid she lost some grams again. She is super active, running 5 - 7 miles a night, so she is not putting the grams back on. After a lot of thought I decided to try the unthinkable and leave her wheel out of her house for the night.

Big mistake.

When I went to check on her in the morning there was not the familiar lump under the blanket, the igloo was unoccupied, and no one hiding in the tubes. The cage was empty. I told myself not to freak out because her room is hedgie proof. I looked under the bed and there she was. Phew! I scooped her up and she was not happy with me. I wrapped her in her blanket and put her in her play pin. I was going to get her breakfast and if I put her back in her house I figured she would not be willing to come out.

As I came back in I saw a flash of white disappearing under the bed. She got out of the play pin! I am guessing she went under, it is one of those Guinea Pig ones. So I had to crawl under the bed again and got her out, and gave her her breakfast.

As she was eating I was looking around and it took me a moment to comprehend what I was looking at. Her wheel. Her very dirty wheel. So she escaped to look for her wheel, found it and ran on it all night. Instead of exploring her nice big room, she just ran on her wheel. I tried to cuddle with her but she was having none of it. I put her and her wheel back in her house and she pushed her wheel a few times and ran into her tubes. It took a lot of mealies to get her to forgive me.

Never take out the wheel again.

Last edited:
Here me now mommy: I will have my wheel.

I've had a couple of panicked double-takes where I look into a cage and do not immediately see where someone has gone. Cue the rapid heart rate. Fortunately, they've always been in their homes. Just in weird places from time to time. I can't imagine how you must have felt seeing she was not there at all.

So glad she decided that her wheel was the place to be.

Give that girl some snuggles! And, of course, her wheel.

It was definitely scary. Her room is safe, there is nowhere she can go that I can't get to, but in the moment you imagine all sorts of crazy things. And of course, even though her cage is on the floor, you worry she got hurt, or too cold, or.....

I was holding her the other night and put her back in her house around 10pm and she ran into her igloo. I went to check on her at 10:30 to see where she ended up and there was no lump under the blanket, she wasn't in her igloo and I was just about to look in her tubes when I saw her, on her hind legs half up the wall. She did the hedgie freeze and I am sure she was hoping I wouldn't notice. I scooped her up and set her back in her her house and went to the basement to get her fence that I should have put up after her first great escape. When I came back, you guessed it, she was under the bed. She is now fenced in and I don't think she is happy about it.

I know it was stupid to not put the fence up right away, and this picture proves it, but it is also too adorable not to share. This was the hedgie freeze. Busted!!!

Attachments

• IMAG1245.jpg
    IMAG1245.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 19
Hmmm... yeah... now that she knows her capabilities, those low walls are no barrier whatsoever to her. I think you have a little escape artist on your hands. Glad you already have a higher wall to help keep her in.

A word of caution: if she's determined, she will be able to scale things that are a foot tall. If she can stretch and get her front feet up there, she will be able to pull herself up and over. I had to go ~1.5 feet to ensure Texie wouldn't get out. He was tiny, but he could stretch!!!!

Back