Sleeping Positions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammie

I'm just curious, since both of my hedgehogs are polar opposites...does your hedgie primarily sleep balled up or stretched out? Hammie was in a ball 99% of the time but Wall-e is a stretcher. I find it so odd when I see him stretched out sleeping under his PJ blankey.

Thaddeus sleeps balled up, unless he's on my chest then he spreads out. My first hedgie, Quillson, almost always slept all sprawled out. So adorable! =D

Gosh it has totally depended on the hedgehog and sometimes even where they are at. For example, Poptart will lay curled up in her bed, but while laying in her snuggle bag on my chest she sprawls out.

Rose tends to lay stretched out. She's very comfortable that she's always safe and nothing is going to bother her.

Cooper started out defensive and curled up, but later in life he stretched out... so much so that on more than one occasion I would walk into the hedgehogs' room and see him laying in bed stretched so far out that his back feet were sticking out of his bed. One time he was laying in the opposite direction and his head was hanging out of his bed... I about had a heart attack as I thought he had tried to get out of his bed and died suddenly. But no, he was just very sound asleep.

One time he was laying in the opposite direction and his head was hanging out of his bed... I about had a heart attack as I thought he had tried to get out of his bed and died suddenly. But no, he was just very sound asleep.

Oh gosh!! Terrifying!! Yea Wall-e tends to sleep with his feet stretched out behind him as far as he can and he's much larger than Hammie was (you know...a whole 3/4 of an inch longer :p) so I'm always like WHAT?! He looks huuuuge all stretched out!

On my lap James will sleep stretched out but in his cage he sleeps in a ball. it's cute <3

I have some questions... I keep reading about Hedgehogs needing time to wake up, but mine needs no time. she still isnt totally used to me, i just stick my hand in her cage and she puffs at me. at this point she is ready to go and do anything. I dont even have to touch her. Is she a light sleeper...?

I think part of what you may be reading about... hedgies needing time to wake up... has to do with pooping & peeing. It seems to be a good idea to make sure they're awake, wait and let them do their business, then pick them up or else get pooped on.

Mine... not so much. Satin needed to run or be held to go potty... no use leaving her in her house to poop on her own. And Tex has only gone on or near his wheel. So I haven't used the "wake-up time" to help with the pottying business for either.

You'll know what works best for you and your little one. If you're getting pooped on, you might want to try the "hi little one" slow wake-up time idea. To help with the being huffed at, you could give a little warning that you're about to pick her up - talk to her, sing, etc... Even so, my Satin used to give me the lightest huff each morning and evening... as if to let me know that she knew I was there and where I could find her under her blanket.

I do what I call "Life checks" if he didn't wake me up wheeling (he's a clean runner). I'll fuss the blanket a little and he'll huff and I'll say "life check! mornin!" and then he goes back to sleep. Just makin sure :p I have anxiety so I need those sometimes.

Old thread, but I thought I would add:

Theres one in every crowd, my chocolate chip little girl sleeps on her back with her feet in the air most nights. She looks like a squashed bug. Sometimes I dont think her A connects to B.....but thats another story.

Pichu

Our new Pichu is great! We got her yesterday and although she huffs and puffs at us she ends up falling asleep on us. In her cage she sleeps in a ball and on us she will sleep spreAd out on her side or lie flat on her belly with her legs stretched out.

Back