Chinchilla laying on side against cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MochaChin

I've had my chinchilla for five months now, and this has been going on for a long time now and it's starting to get concerning, whenever he returns to his cage after playtime he lays against the cage on his side? I heard this can be because he's too hot, but the temperature never seems to go over 72? Although my door is always shut due to cats, so it might get a little warmer in there so whenever I think it's warm in the winter/fall I open up the window to let in some cool air, but he still lays there? I think he might just to that because he wants to be let back out, but I don't want to assume since it's worrying.

Not sure if having a white chinchilla has to do with anything, but I have a white female chinchilla and she ALWAYS lies on her side after playtime. I live in Boston where it's about 10 degrees outside right now and her room is set at about 65, so I'm never worried about her being overheated. I think she just likes to lie down and relax after she's been out of her cage for a bit.

The white ones I had always looked hot, sprawled on their sides, even had the pink ear thing going on, at 68 degrees and cooler.

One of my chins always lies on his side against the cage, I've asked my vet and they said there's nothing wrong with him, it might just be his preferred way of sleeping/relaxing. Maybe that's what your chin is doing?

Back