Please help. my chinchilla is behaving strangely

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jreed

I went away on vacation and left my chinchilla with an experienced breeder.

I brought him home two days ago, and I could tell right away he was acting strangely. He was slow- didn't want to jump. Almost like he was slightly dizzy- not falling over or anything, just slower and hesitant. He also seems to be grooming himself a lot.

I was really scared, but I wanted to give it a day or two to see what was going on.

Then, last night, I took him out to play. He was great! He acted with his usual amount of playfulness and speed.

THEN, just this morning, I took him out and fed him some critical care (he is eating, but my breeder said it might help him get some extra nutrients if he isn't well).
He took it fine, then I put him back in his cage.
All the sudden he was back to how he was... slowww movements. Almost like he as on a sedative, didn't want to walk much.

I am so scared but I don't even know what to ask for from the vet when i bring him in. You know how vets are... She is experienced with chins, but I just don't know what I would ask her to test him for. If the stress of me giving him critical care made him act like that again, I am so afraid that a vet handling him would kill him or something.

Back