inbreeding / overbreeding hedgehogs

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedgehogs BC

Their is a "new breeder" in my area of Abbotsford BC ~not sure if i should mention the name- whom on their websire put their first hedgehog came to them pregnant on Nov 20,2010 days later it had babies, then on Feb 7 2011 this same hedgehog had more babies, is this healthy for the hedgehog to have 2 litters within 3 months ?

the also put they breed for health but if their hedgehog came to them pregnant how do they know it wasnt pregnant by the dad or even a brother since on their site it says the hedgehog was housed with 3 other males, I thought hedgehog could not live in groups ?? I feel this person is Not looking to better the health of hedgehog but rather to make a buck or two,

How do you know who is a good breeder vs bad breeder when looking to purchase a hedgehog??

Last edited by a moderator:
That person is horrible. Obviously out to make a buck and no care whatever about the girl or the babies she is producing. Sounds to me like a petstore hedgie. Other than some females that enjoy others company, hedgehogs can't be housed in groups. Males will fight, sometimes to the death and male/female, well we know what happens there.

Considering that weaning happens at 5-6 weeks old and gestation is 35+ days, it's obvious they bred that poor girl as soon as the first babies were weaned. This is not at all healthy for her or the babies.
Reputable breeders who care about their hedgehogs and babies breed no more than twice per year.

It can be difficult to know who is a good breeder because many talk the good talk but it's all talk. It's best to ask on the forums and get other peoples knowledge of the breeder.

Could you pm me a link to the website.

re: shall we say backyard breeder

I did the private message , i am new to this so im not sure if I did it right

please let me know

I would have posted the name but i didnt know if it is aganst the rules , free free to if you want to

thanks

Last edited:
Back