Darien

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starleomach

Dawnna's Keeper
This Morning Darien (my beautiful light ebony from designer chins) had her first litter.

I woke up at 6to handfeed the babies and feed king/give meds and thought great Darien is in Labor...

I gave her some time and she had a beautiful standard male 59 grams. She was still laboring so I let her be a bit.

Nothing.....

she looked comfortable but was still open. I palpated and felt another kit.
I went to the vet..immediatly, I called on the way to let them know the situation

We took xrays she had 1 other kit inside her. Was positioned and a reasonable looking size so we tried oxytocin, then a second shot.

When that didn't work we thought we may do a spay/c sectio. When I went in back to see her she had already given up. At that point the vet and I decided she would not survive the surgery and we euthanized. In such a short time she had completly given up and was unresposive to anything

The kit was not to big to pass, it was positioned right, but despite all efforts we were unable to get it out. This was Darien's first litter and I lost her. I am heart broken

It happens. We did all we could. I got help immediatly and still lost my beloved Darien...

I put this here instead of Memorials because. Darien was good sized, the male she had that is out and alive and thriving was the same size if not bigger than the perfectly positioned one that would not come out. I loved Darien and being a breeder I understood the risk of breeding her. But maybe this will deter someone that does not understand the risks.

Yesterday we were excitedly awaiting a litter from a beautiful large female that was begging for attention as late as 6 am this morning

Now I am on the couch crying over a beautiful ebony female in a garbage bag in my freezer and her orphaned baby boy.

I didn't write this for sympathy I know the risk each and every time a male or female goes into breeding. There is so much that can go wrong it is a wonderful miracle it ever goes right. Honestly I can say I at least have her son...but I would rather be cuddling Darien tonight

So if you have your beloved pet female and want cute cuddly kits..know the risks. I have a cute cuddly kit and he is a beautiful darling, I will post pictures in a bit...but he came at a very high cost (I am not talking the vet bill)

picture.php

:( I'm so sorry Kristy. I hope by us posting all of there stories lately that people will READ them, take a step back and think about what they are doing. RIP Darien.

Cristy - I'm so sorry - Sometimes we all wonder if the joys are worth the heartaches!!
Hang in there!!

Oh, Kristy, I'm so sorry for your loss. :flowers4:

Darien will watch over you and her little orphan from Chinnie Heaven.

Back