Chinchilla pees a lot?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillin2005

Shadow's mom
My chinchilla peed in one corner of the cage, and didn't pee a lot, but these days, I see him peeing a lot, way more than normal. He pees constantly. There's no smell or anything bad, he just goes to the bathroom like everywhere at least 5 times a day. He does drink water, I was wondering is this a sign of diabetes, any health problem? To get an idea of how much he pees:
2dltzis.jpg
This is just one area, he pees everywhere. He never peed as much as this much. I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to liter box train him when the fleece liners arrive. Does any other chinchillas pee a lot not just like twice a day?

If the temperature is higher than normal, he is going to drink more to hydrate himself. Make sure he stays cool (under 72 degrees) and has lots of cool tiles to lay on.

If that is not the issue, monitor how much he is drinking by marking the water bottle with a sharpie. Chins usually only drink about an ounce or two of water a day, I think. More than that and you may have an issue.

It is burning hot outside and the air conditioner is on constantly (inside temp is 73 degrees). I have a bowl of ice cubes in there, and he's fine. May be that's it, the temperature is what's causing him to pee more than usual. His waterbottle this morning:
2mhv91c.jpg

It was completely full (I filled it last night) he drinks that much to the waterline shown

Is that an 8 oz bottle or 16 oz?

Measure out 4 tablespoons of water to give yourself a visual. That's how much he should average in a day. If it's just a little more than that, I would think you are ok. If it's like twice that amount, take him to an exotics vet and get him checked. Even if he checks out 100% ok, peace of mind is priceless, and better than worrying yourself to death over it.

:)

Back