Randomly crying and racing around?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyjane94

Hiya,
So recently one of my boys has developed a strange habit, every now and again he will randomly start crying and race around his cage, occasionally doing a little hop or two. He seems to be panicking as when he's racing round he regularly misjudges and bumps into things or slips off ledges. Originally I thought it was just when he was asleep and he had a nightmare or something, but I've been observing him more and he does it when he's awake too now.

I check him over every time it happens and he seems perfectly normal, he's eating, drinking, and pooping as usual, his teeth look fine and I've checked him for fur rings, the only thing that's odd is his crying and racing round?

It started out once every few days but it's been increasing, he does it a couple of times a day now and it scares the life out of me every time.
The only thing I can think of is maybe he's spooked since I brought another chin home (about 2 months ago) to try and bond him with, but he does it even when I've moved the newer chin into another room?

Does anybody have any experiences with their chin behaving like this and know what it could be?

Just in case anyone else has encountered this behaviour I'm going to post what I think happened.

Basically I got my hamster a new wheel that makes some noise when she's running on it back when this screaming started (I didn't make the connection when I posted originally) - anyway, as they were in the same room I tried moving the hamster into another room away from the chins.. lo and behold! My boy stopped screaming! I can only assume that the noise was annoying him so much he felt he had to scream?

It sounds very likely that the wheel was making a noise that either scared him or annoyed him. I know some wheels can make banging noises, or even high pitch squeaking/screeching sounds. I know it's common for things like pipes banging when the heat comes on to scare them so a wheel making a thumping noise could be scary too. If it was a squeaking sound, well that could get on anyone's nerves, lol.

Back