He won't stop biting my nose!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almostperfect10

I've had chins for 14 years, and I've never experienced anything like this. About six weeks ago, I acquired a wonderful healthy (he's been checked by my vet) active two year-old male chinchilla named Journey. He is the only chinchilla I have at the moment. During the day he lives in a Quality Cage mansion and has free access to food, hay, and plenty of chew toys that he regularly destroys. He's a sweetheart in the cage; he gives nice kisses through the bars and doesn't mind when I reach in and scoop him up.

At playtime, he is a wild child! I've never had a chinchilla with so much energy. I've always liked to lay on the floor with my chins during out-of-cage playtime so that they can climb on me. Journey, however, uses this opportunity to run up to my face, bite my nose hard, and run away. Each time he bites my nose, he draws blood. I currently have multiple wounds on my nose. Why is he doing this? How can I make him stop? I have a buddy and an assortment of large chew toys available for him during playtime. I really don't want to have to block him in somewhere without me for playtime. Please help me deal with my little vampire!!

Back