Re-introduce dad to mum and female baby after hes been neutered

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haworthlj

Hi there, not posted before but need some advise! We had surprise baby Chinchillas nearly 4 weeks ago. We immediately moved mum and babies to a low flat cage, unfortunately mum got a bit freaked out and attacked one of the babies and it sadly died. We moved mum and the other baby back to the main cage and she was fine (dad was put in the low flat cage instead and he has been neutered). Baby girl is now 4 weeks old and doing well - question is, we would like to keep them all together again now that dad has been neutered but how do we go about reintrodung him as mum is quite skittish and I'm frightened that she may attack the other baby without thinking about it. We do have a new cage for them all (ferret nation 182 + 183 so plenty of room) that no ones been in yet as they can get quite territorial. Any help or advise would be great, thanks

well babies dont get weened until at least 8 weeks old. Then usually separated from mom for a while to make sure she is healthy and eating and drinking all on her own. So i probably wouldnt consider trying anything until after that.

You need to wait until the male is fully healed up before even trying to reintroduce them anyway. It can take 8 weeks or more for the chin to fully heal internally, all the sperm to be out of his system, and the hormone levels to die down. Males can sometime accidentally kill kits too in their desire to mate if put back with the female too soon. So I would first wait until he is all good to be with the family again, then you can slowly try to introduce him as though he is a brand new chin. Keep in mind though, the time away is long enough to break the bond, so don't expect them to all get along right away, or possibly ever (it can happen).

Back