Help with hardware removal on tube

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trish57

I wasn't sure what folder to post this in, so feel free to move it to wherever it belongs.

One of my chins' tubes started slipping on the front side, so I kept tightening it. I guess because the bolt is near the foldover, I just couldn't get it tight enough to keep it level. Now it's stuck, and it won't budge! I have a lava ledge underneath the tube to support it and keep it level at the moment. You probably already know, the bolt is flat (no indentation for a screwdriver). I tried gripping the edges with pliers, but that didn't work out either. Maybe I need to try a different kind of pliers? It's been a few weeks since I've changed the fleece on it. Thankfully, neither of the girls urinate in it, and I was able to de-furr it.

Any ideas on how to get it off?

Thanks!
Trish

Never mind! Just had to put my brain to work a little harder. I gripped the threaded side of the bolt with the pliers and unscrewed it from that end. Wasn't easy, since apparently the threads were a little worn, but I got it off. Yay me. :)

glad u got it off. Iv had some cage bolts that refused to turn so much that while trying to unscrew them, the center of the bolt actually snapped in half form the torque rather then unscrew...

Some tubes come with large flat washers to help support them against the cage. If yours didn't come with those, or the ones you got are too small, you can buy them at any hardware store in the nut/bolt department. The larger the washer, the better it will hold your tube in place, depending on your bar spacing, etc.

The washers that come with our tubes are fine for ZZ's tube, but Marble is a little heavier so we actually had to use larger ones for hers. :D

Back