Waking Up to Eat

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGarl

My chin, Bentley, male age 10, has been waking up lately to eat. He usually sleeps during the day, gets up to use his litter box at around 4 pm then goes back to sleep until 7, when he gets up for his 'day'.

Lately though he's been getting up several times during his sleep time to eat pellets or a bit of hay, have some water, then going back to bed. (He's pretty active during his up time, pooping good, eating a lot hay, 2T of pellets a day and he's a good weight. Gets chew sticks, a rose hip each day, and a rosebud when I have them.)

Also the other day he was up during the day, smooshed between his sleeping box and the top of the cage making a little 'murp' sound, which I've never heard from him before.

Is this unusual behavior? Should I be worried? Thanks for reading my post. :)

Last edited:
most chins will wake up several times through out there normal 'sleep time'. Being prey animals they sleep in a way were its very easy to wake up in case of danger. So they will often get up to go eat or drink or what not. Thats pretty normal.

Ahhh, ok. Thanks for the reply Godofgods! I think I just worry too much about him. Afraid that I'll do something wrong, or miss an important indicator.

Yep my girl does this. She will randomly wake up throughout the day to get a quick bite to eat then she goes right back to bed. Lol.

Mine will all wake up the second they hear my hubby on the stairs- they know precisely who to beg for a treat from. It's quite funny to see them go from "I'm soo sleepy I couldn't possibly get up" to "its DADDY!!!! Look at me look at me!!!!" And the second he leaves the room and they finish chewing they flop back down like they worked so hard.

Godofgods, I guess it's better being this way than to not worry enough and something bad happens.

Brittneyk13, It's cute the way they do that.

Kokorobosoi, that's too funny! Everyday I have my chin I see something unique in his personality. Chins are the most amazing little critters.

:)

Last edited:
Back