Aloe and other plants?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraucci

Hi everyone!

Not sure if this is the right area, so I apologize if I should have posted elsewhere!

I know that some wood and whatnot is toxic for chins. Does anyone know if having an aloe plant in the same room would give off anything that might harm him? I read an article about certain plants that might help sleep (granted it was off Facebook and I'm still going to look into it if they are perhaps chin-friendly https://www.facebook.com/powerofpositivity/videos/10154258437077371/?pnref=story), my current life problem, and I wanted to try them out.

I thought aloe might be the least fragrant and easiest to get and maintain. The others were lavender (hate the smell), jasmine (I think I hate that smell too lol), English ivy, and the snake plant. Those last 2 also sounded interesting if anyone happened to have any information. I wondered if it's the smell of anything that could be harmful. Is echinacea or eucalyptus or maybe both that are toxic, so I've avoided a room spray/essential oils thinking that I might kill my baby if he inhaled! Color me paranoid lol. Any information would be great. Thank you!

I would think most normal house plants are going to be safe so long as the chin doesn't eat them. Aloe doesn't emit anything, probably since they are a cactus, they don't really have a smell at all. I have had aloe plants in the same room with chins before, as well as spider plants (very good air cleaners), and African violets. I would be reluctant to have any flowering plants that release pollen or a strong smell.

You are right to avoid sprays or essential oils, they can cause respiratory issues. A chin's respiratory system is as sensitive as a bird's, so it might be easier to look up safe plants to have around birds since more people have those so you will likely get more info.

A list of toxic and non toxic plants is on the ASPCA site it only lists for cats, dogs, and horses, but if it's toxic to them you can be pretty sure it's going to be toxic to chins too. Just so you know, aloe, eucalyptus, snake plant, and English ivy are all toxic of eaten. Echinacea is a safe (in small doses) medicinal herb when eaten, it helps with immune system health, so it would probably be safe to grow.

Back