Wheel question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnow

I bought a wheel for my chin about a month ago and he won't use it. It's huge, 15 inches in diameter I believe. Do some chins just not like to run on wheels? He often poops in it but he's never figured out how to use it. Perhaps it's because I let him run around his chin proof room for an hour each evening? I just wonder if it's worth keeping in there if he doesn't use it or if I should remove it and just add another perch.

I would give him a bit more time with it, a month isn't really that long. I would make sure it spins properly, if it's stiff and hard to turn they wont use it. Are you sure he isn't just running on it when you aren't around? Also what kind of wheel is it? I know some chins can't really figure out the flying saucer wheels for example.

You can also try to teach him how to use it, lure him onto the wheel using a treat, then hold it just out of reach so he has to walk on the wheel to get it. Once he walks a few steps causing the wheel to rotate give him the treat.

In the end though if he doesn't like it, remove it, chins don't need wheels, especially if they are getting lots of outside playtime. He may be getting tired out running around for an hour and just doesn't feel like running anymore. It'd be like a kid playing at the park, then coming home to a swing set, some kids might want to still play, others not so much.

I did check it and it spins very easily, im not exactly sure if the brand though, it's not a saucer at least hehe. Since I was curious if he was using it or not I put a piece of pellet on top where it balanced and it hasn't moved in a week. He does get a lot of play time but I'll leave it in there for a little bit longer and try showing him how to use it like you suggested but if he doesn't take to it I'll probably remove it and add another perch or two. I appreciate your input!

I agree with Amethyst, he may just be unsure what it is for. When I added a wheel to Esper's cage at first he didn't know what to do with it, and then he was spooked every time it moved and would jump back out and hide in his hutch, however after an evening of playing with it, he loves it now and will run even after his evening playtime and he runs in the evening even while he is on his antibiotic too. Try the suggested training and see if your chin takes to it! c:

To test whether he used it while I was away or not I placed a bit of bedding on the very top of the wheel, not enough for him to notice it. It never fell off so I know the wheel never spin around. I had tested this for a couple weeks. The wheel turns very easily but I'm not sure what brand it is. I'll try to show him how to use it with oats. Just to be clear, rolled oats are alright to give sparingly as a treat right?

there are some chins who take a while to warm up to a wheel, and some chins who simply dont bother with it. But if the wheel is a safe wheel id say leave it in there. Could change his mind one day.

Back