Best combinations in a herd?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meo

Hi!
I'm new to Chins n Hedgies and definitely new to the world of Chinchillas in general! One question that I haven't been able to get a good answer to is the best combination for a herd of chins. I've heard two females and a male, all the same gender, and many others... what is your preference? Can three males get along?

Thanks!

First, I don't consider 3 chins a herd. It's a trio of chins. Second, what you pair up is just personal preference. I have pairs, trios, and colonies.

Since you are new to chins, is this for breeding purposes or a pet set up?

unless youre a knowledgeable breeder with pedigreed chins.. youll want to stick to same sex pairs to avoid any pregnancies.

You can have singles, two, three, or more together. It depends on the chin. Some like company. Some do not. Some do not like specific chins. Much like ppl, its up the the individual chins whether or not they will like another. - Right now i have a cage of just one chin. Another cage with two. And a third cage with three chins.

Back