Do chins have any use for buckwheat?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voxleo

My mother had a relatively short lived project preoccupations for making buckwheat pillows for people that was supposed to be better for neck alignment or something but she ran out of beneficiaries to benefit from them long before she ran out of a rather large sack of buckwheat. I suppose it would make a fine cat bed or two, maybe one for the dog. But that means she'd have to stay in craft mode anyway, and it would still be good to know if it was toxic to the critters so that any projects that did get completed would be kept well away from where it might get nibbled on. Given the draft in this room at the moment, I might stuff some tights with it andand cram those under the doors as draft blockers, but that still puts them in potential position to be gnawed also ....

It is all properly pesticide free and organic an all that, as it was intended for people to be resting their faces on it, and for kids to have toys made of it and putting itn their mouths and breathing it in all night. Since it is a grain she wondered if maybe the chins could find some value in it, either as food or litter perhaps?

It's so weird what might end up being toxic, so no chances will be taken unless we know for sure its okay for them. and I never heard any mention of buckwheat at all. I didn't even really know where to look other than google and this place is right at the top of the list of results.

Anyone know if its safe for chins and if so what they might use it for? And if not, anyone have any other creative ideas what do with a duffel full of buckwheat?

Cheers!

The buckwheat itself if it was food grade would be fine but since its made for pillows you have to concern yourself if its been treated with anything or if it came from a foreign country, stuff like that is often treated to kill pests etc.

Back