Helpp!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DezDevo

im sorry for so much questions but the pet store that im getting a chinchilla from(dont nag me!)has them drinking from bowls...If i put a water bottle in the cage would they use it??

They will learn to use it but you have to make sure they do. The problem with bowls is that they can be tipped over, or the chin can get in them and get wet, or the get poop in them. But you can teach them to use bottles. Watch him and make sure he figures it out before leaving him on his own with it. Some people recommend rubbing the insides of a raisin on the spout (do NOT give your chin the raisin). It is a one time trick to help them figure out that water comes from the spout. Meanwhile, offer your chin water from a spoon or bowl (but don't leave it in there) before you leave the house so you know he has had some water. They figure it out quickly though.

Dez don't be afraid to ask questions! How else will you learn! They usually know how to use the water bottle, but if not you can rub a raisin on the tip of the water bottle to entice them! Rasins as a treat are not a good idea, but to get them to use the water bottle is a great idea!

Yes, I agree that the chin will probably know how to use a bottle. Chances are, the breeder/ranch it came from had them on bottles or a water system, not bowls as that would be a hassle for them to keep clean and full. So the chin probably will remember using some sort of water bottle.

Just when you get the chin, put the water bottle on the cage and mark the water level either with a washable marker or a piece of tape. Then you can see if the water level goes down over a day or two. Don't be shocked if it doesn't move much though because chins in general don't drink much (compared to animals like dogs, cats, rabbits etc)

Back