How cold can they handle/prepping for ice storm

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinnyluver

Hello everybody. I am currently rushing to get back to college before a winter storm comes through my area. Everyone is saying there is a large chance of loss of power and talking about the last time it happened lasting a week. I have blankets and a very small generator for myself and my dog but I'm wondering if I need to do anything to prep the chins if that happens. It's going to be in the 30s and 20s over the next few days.

My chins are happy as clams at 50 degrees and my barn has gone down to 47 with no issue (other than me panicking). It's not something I would recommend for prolonged periods, but they should be okay for a short while at lower temperatures. If you need to run your generator for you and your dog, that should be fine for your chin as well. You might consider putting your chin in a carrier (body heat helps) nearish the heat source if your cage is pretty big and you can't move it.

I would also recommend running your generator in your smallest room that you can close doors too so that it doesn't work as hard and you get maximum warmth.

Okay, it's a very small portable power generator that I have a small space heater I can hook it up to. I have a studio apartment so if we need a small room it's either the bathroom or the closet, which if it's cold enough would work :). They are in bonded pairs, that should help slightly with body heat. If it gets to that point I'll definitely do carriers.

Chins are actually good to below freezing, the biggest problem is that their water freezes, lol. I knew a breeder in Maine that had her herd in temps down to 20 F for a few days during a power outage, and they were fine. I would say so long as you keep the temp above freezing, so they have water, the chins should be fine.

Back