Change in behavior

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tzuki1303

I recently took Diablo (my chinchilla) to the vet due to a swollen face from a spider bite. All is well in that area now, he is back to normal except now he won't let me near him. No petting, I can't even scoop him up for out of cage time and he stays in his igloo or on a perch when I feed him. I am thinking it may be that he had never seen a vet before now and is holding the visit against me...my husband thinks it is because I am reaching my 3rd trimester for 1st baby and that my hormone changes may be off putting. Some animals are sensitive like that, I guess. Any thoughts as to what may have caused this change and/or what I can do to fix our bond?

Going to the vet can be traumatic, but they don't normally ever need to go, so when they do need to it's extra scary since they are already feeling vulnerable. Also if you had to give/force feed him meds and stuff that can also temporarily hurt your bond, since he will lose trust in you so you need to re earn his trust now. Just go back to your normal routine with him and he will realize you aren't going to be shoving anything else down his throat.

I do know some animals can sense when their owner is going to have a baby, and yes the change in hormone is probably changing your scent. Chins are very sensitive to smells, so if you smell different they are going to act differently towards you since you don't smell like you use to. It can also happen when someone changes perfumes, lotions, soaps, etc too.

I did have to give him meds but he seemed welcoming to them. I didn't need to hold him to give them to him. I will continue on as normal and hope he comes around. Just bummed since he's not super cuddly to begin with.

Update on Diablo: he is 100% back to normal. I'm allowed to pet and scoop him up again. not sure what changed over night but I am glad.

Back