Exhausted chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynnann

when playtime was over squeaker went into the bath house and I put him in his cage. But chewy realized that play time was over so he wouldnt go into the bathhouse. So I had to chase him around. I don't pick them up because they don't like it so I use the bathhouses to transport them from the cage to floor when I finally caught him and put him back in his cage he just kind of collapsed I got scared I opened up the windows and turned on the fan thinking that he was overheating is normal was he just exhausted? He was fine 20 minutes later. I only ever see him lay on his side after play time.

It sounds like he may have been overheating a bit. Unless I let my chins out for a really extended, vigorous playtime, when I used to put them back in they were just as rambunctious as when I took them out. If he's back to normal now he's probably fine. Things to watch for with playtime is overheating (what's the temp where he plays?), possible seizures from low blood sugar, or it could be that his playtime is too long and he's just worn out.

Do you think it could be because I chased him all over trying to catch him? I keep the heat in my house on 68. The floors in the play room are tile so there cool. As far a blood sugar I feed him oxbow essentials chinchilla food kaytee Timothy hay a few Cheerios a day and maybe a few raisins a week. Oh one more question Chewy has been exposing his self alot lately. I read that he's grooming his self but he does it alot. He is in a separate cage from squeaker but during play time Chewy mounts squeaker. The original owner told me squeaker is a boy but I'm starting to get concerned. I've never seen squeaker groom his self. Could squeaker actually be a girl? I compared squeakers genials with a picture from the internet and I think he's a boy. Any suggestions on how to check?and is the mounting normal.

It's probably because you chased him, but it also sounds like you are giving too many treats. Cheerios and treats in general should be one per day at most, not a few a day. Raisins are really a not good at all for chinchillas, they are way too high in sugar, one tiny piece a month at the very most is a better, if you absolutely have to give them raisins, but none is best. Better and safer treats would be rosehips, rose petals, a pinch of oats, or even herbs.

Males do clean down there, and most do enjoy themselves. However if he is spending way too much time down there, more then a couple minutes, I would check for a hair ring. If you want to post a pic of Squeakers privates we can probably help you out there with sexing. Mounting is a normal dominance behavior though, they need to sort out who is boss. So long as they are in fact both males, and it's just mounting, no barking or chasing, and no fighting occurs they are just simply figuring out who is boss, and is harmless.

Treats should be given sparingly if at all. A cheerio once a week or such. Raisins however are very bad for them. They are high in sugars and chins can not process sugars. It can do damage to them internally. Unfortunately, they do love things that are bad for them. But raisins are a bad idea.

The only real treat (that i know of) that is ok to give on a daily basis are properly prepared twigs. They can have them every day if you wanted. The are safe, and good for there teeth as well.

Its possible he could have been over heated. Honestly you dont need to heat there play room at all if that is an option. Chins are good with cold. Its heat they do bad with. As long as its not freezing (literally) then they should be good.

If you can, pick the chin up lightly by the tail, leaving the front two hand on the ground. Take a pic of there genitals that way and post them here. Ppl here can help you make sure about gender. It is something that is often mistaken so its good to double and triple check. - If by chance on is a girl, and theyve been out of the cage together, then she could already be pregnant. It can happen that fast.

Back