Self-Anointing A Lot! Is this normal?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pohedgie

Hi All,

I have had my wonderful Po hedgie for about six months. One of his favorite things to do is go outside, and run around in his little enclosure. It seems whenever he goes outside he anoints. I thought that this was only for new or unusual smells. Could it be that he just loves what he comes across, since it is so different from inside our house? I feel like every time he comes in from outside, he needs a scrub down.

Thanks!

Mel :) :hmm:

Congrats on your little one.

My Satin would anoint over her veggies each and every time they were presented to her. Didn't matter that it was the exact same squash (well, new jar, but same flavor) for the past three years... she'd anoint. So I don't think it only has to do with being a new smell. There seem to be things that hedgies just love to anoint with for whatever reason.

I love watching them get their bodies in a complete corkscrew position and lick, lick, lick. Though the clean-up afterwards... sigh...

Back