Odor Removal?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nana

I have a question for those who have multiple chinchillas or other pets. I see that some breeders here have tens and hundreds of chinchillas. I have rabbits that I keep inside, too, and would like to know how I can get rid of the smell of these animals. I have an Austine Air Purifier Pets, but, I don't know if it is working well.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=6A-3Te-jG8fogQff8eRV&ved=0CIcBEPMCMAQ#

I burn candles sometimes, but I want something that would place in the basement, where I keep my animals, and improve the smell.

Air freshner splays seem to be a solution for a moment....

Please give me suggestions.
Thanks.

Nana :)

Typically, in a basement, you have high humidity levels which do not help odor. You can try getting a dehumidifier.

Also, with chinchillas, if you're smelling something other than feed and shavings that is a sign that you need to clean the cages more often.

What kind of bedding are you using? How often are you spot cleaning and completely cleaning the cage?

I use:

This bedding for my rabbits. I scoop old bedding and put fresh bedding every morning for rabbits. I don't deep clean their litters often though... Maybe once a week or less...
http://www.petco.com/product/107259...l_4-_-PETCO Small Animal Aspen Bedding-107259

I lay flece on my chin cages. I put litter boxes for them, and I use this one for my chinchillas.
http://www.petco.com/product/100574...?CoreCat=MM_SmallAnimalSupplies_BeddingLitter

I admit that I don't wash flece often though... I am going to college and work, and usually all I can do daily is to feed them, change their water, and let them play a bit in a playpen. I wash their flece only once other week and change bedding when it is wet .

I know that I should clean more often...
Also, hays and poops fall off the floor and I don't vacuum clean often enough.
I will try better, but I need to have another solution to help removing the odor...
Please help me... :)

Thanks.
Nana

Last edited:
If you aren't willing to keep the chinchillas (and rabbits) and their areas as clean as it should be, there is no solution.

You could try pine shavings rather than fleece. You canNOT go every other week cleaning cages. Fleece will smell faster than shavings. Peed on hay also stinks to high heavens.

In your situation there does not sound like another solution than cleanliness.

Last edited:
The SOLUTION is to clean more...you are looking for something to mask the problem and not a solution. I have 70+ chinchillas, 2 cats, 2 dogs and four rats and I commute 150 miles every week to go to college full time and work 20hrs a week. I only have three days for cleaning, but you bet your booty I spend my time cleaning during those three days.

It not only creates a smell problem, but you are creating health hazards by not cleaning once a week. This is a basic, basic, basic husbandry rule.

Plus, dirty bedding can lead to bacterial infections in numerous areas of the animals body, very hard to treat once established.

The whole time I was in college I had 30 to 80 chinchillas to care for and had a job that would pull me away from home. I still managed to clean the chin cages two times a week except for during finals when I had to clean them just once. The trick is to figure out how to do things efficiently and not waste a lot of time on it. Cleaning up after 4 chins would take me about 5 to 10 minutes, you just have to do it and get it over with all at once.

Today is cage cleaning day...I clean nearly 140 cages in one day. Sorry, but I have no real sympathy for people with just a few cages not being able to keep them clean. There is no way to get rid of the smell except to keep the cages clean and tidy. So, I must be off to clean up the last 60 cages today so that they don't stink. (I have all the chins in three bedrooms of my house...)

When the chins are out playing in their playpen you can clean their cage. I replace the fleece in my cages once a week, and clean out the litter boxes daily. When I had a bunny come into the rescue I cleaned her litter box (replaced the litter and washed it out) daily. She rarely peed on the fleece so I still replaced that weekly. Rabbits urine is very smelly. It you don't replace the litter daily you will smell it no matter how you try to mask it. Your animals will also feel better. If you smell their cages, think about how strong the smell is to them who are actually in the cages.

Also, you are able to use the Aspen or Pine for the chins as well as the rabbits. There is no need to spend extra money on the softsorbent bedding.

The larger the cage, the higher. The minimum amount ground space is about 24 by 24 inches, in addition to a tall cage is best; if at all possible, get 1 with cabinets and ladders that let this mountain native to climb. A wire is the best cage content; stay clear of plastic cages or extras for the reason that chinchillas chew and demolish plastic conveniently. The tray might be lined with wood shavings, preferably pine; keep away from cedar and hardwood shavings, for instance aspen, and newspapers. Several chinchilla cages Use a wire ground, which can be great for cleanliness, but the wire could be tough on chinchilla ft so it is best averted. Wire flooring or shelves might be included with wood to provide the chinchilla's ft a crack. A nest box, manufactured from Wooden, should also be supplied. get

Back