Respiratory infection

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keirazak

I've just had our 8 year old chinchilla teddy to the vets, and told he has a respiratory infection, he has antibiotics for 2 weeks which he started today, he looks very poorly was eating to today when he's eaten very little a couple of oat groats then just layed next to his food. Can anyone advise on how to get him rug o eat and drink or what to give him. He also shares his cage with his brother who is fine no issues does he have to be separated? I'm worried I'll make him worse as he loves his brother there always together. Any help and advise would be appreciated. I hate seeing him looking ill feel helpless at the minute.

I would separate him, and also watch his brother closely, respiratory infections are highly contagious. I would either ask the vet about getting some critical care or order some online. Antibiotics are also normally given with a appetite stimulant and a probiotic.

I wasn't given anything else from the vet no advise on loss of appetite or separating him 😢, would he have to be in a separate room or just cage

I would put the sick on in another room, but it's also possible the vet just figures they have already been together so the other one has already been exposed anyway. I guess it also depends on what caused the respiratory infection, if it was contagious or not.

Oh and I must have missed it earlier, it's best not to give any treats to a sick chin. Just stick to pellets and hay. I would talk to the vet if his appetite doesn't pick up though, chins can't go without eating. At most at home you can try soaking the pellets in water and carefully syringe feed him that or see if he is willing to eat it off a spoon.

Back