HELP green gooey poo!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamba

Hi all!

Hoping for Some advice on this.

I got my hedgie, Jamba about month ago and I noticed that a few days after i got him, a small part of his poop was green and goey. i read up on this and i learned that it could be because of stress, so i assumed that it was because he had a new home. The next day, his poop was fine, no green gooey stuff.

a week passed and upon spening a whole day with hom at home, I noticed scratching, he had mites! I sent immediately sent him to the vet and they tested and treated him with a mild mite spray. When he pooped that same day, I noticed that although most of his poop was normal In texture and color, there was a small part wherein it was again, green and goey. I assumed it was due to the stress from being at the vet and coming home.

Next couple of days he had normal poop, then again a small part was green and gooey. It's always about 1/4 an inch in size(green gooey poop) and the rest are always normal poop.

It's been like an on and off thing, but it still does worry me. Would anyone be able to give advise on this one? It would be much appreciated.

Just a short background:

I am from the Philippines, a tropical country, thus his cage doesn't need a heater because the temperature here is perfect for hedgies. His cage is very big and has a mix oif shavings, blankets(curderoy, fleece). I'm waiting for my carefresh to arrive from the US so I could use that instead of shavings.

I'd pull out the shavings and substitute fleece (get things back to basics). You don't really need the Carefresh. Fleece on its own is just fine. If you wanted something different for a litterbox, a paper towel will work.

Given that the green poops are sporadic, I think you might be on to something with the stress. Stress can come from things like moving to a new home and going to the vet. But also from things like: it was lighter than usual at night or louder than usual at night or the wheel wasn't spinning quite right one night or he had a bath or a nail trimming. For now, I'd just watch to see what happens over time. The other thing I'd do is to give him a bit of unseasoned pumpkin or squash or sweet potato -- the pureed baby food type. Rather amazingly, each of those seem to do wonders for hedgie poop - if it's watery, it tends to firm it up; if it's too hard, it tends to soften it.

If the problem continues, you can bring a sample of his poop into the vet's office for them to test (ie, leaving him at home so he's not stressed out -- and probably saving you a bit of money for not having an exam). Certainly if it becomes worse and he's no longer making poop "logs," then bring both him and a sample of his poop into the vet.

In sum, try a bit of pumpkin/squash/sweet potato and keep an eye on things.

I agree with everything smhufflepuff said, but I also wanted to add that a food change can cause green or gooey poops as well. It doesn't say in your post if you are using the same food as the previous owner or not, so if you have changed it that could be contributing to the issue.

Back