PVC material

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

808chindad

Is bare (not covered in fleece) PVC safe around chinchillas knowing their propensity to chew everything? I'd want to to use a big 6 " diameter PVC elbow or straight pipe as a loft for my chins. Any advice?

When using PVC make sure it's drinking water grade pipe, it's normally white. Not all PVC is created the same and many will leach chemicals over time, drinking water pipe is not allowed to have harmful chemicals.

PVC is too hard for most chins to bother chewing, they try but give up. It also doesn't come of in chunks, so if chewed they only get tiny bits that pass through without issue. Obviously if you see your chins chewing a lot on the pipe though you will need to remove it. I have a Y shaped one in my guy's cage that has been in there for over 6 years, the most they have done is a few teeth scrap marks. Another thing I use as a hangout tube is an old metal coffee tin, and I've also see other people use metal duct pipe for tubes too.

Thanks for your advice Amethyst. I ordered and received a 6" metal tube/elbow from Chirping Chins on Etsy. Awesome product my chins use to literally "chill" out in after a a run on the Chin Spin. I like the diameter of the tube but I have been looking for alternate materials. Happy New Year!!!

Back