What can I do to keep mess in the cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynnann

I just received my FN. The pans do not have very high sides and when I woke up today there was a ton of bedding on the floor around the cage. What can I do to fix this problem?

go to www.bassequipment.com to Ferret Nation pans. They have metal pan that are 3 " high (get the stainless steel). Those help keep the mess down. Plus they replace the plastic trays that the chins will eventually chew and can cause digestive problems. Nothing will keep some of the mess from getting out. This is a part of living with a chin. Just sweep up

In my opinion, unless you put high cage guards around the cage, you'll never keep the mess in Lol.
Switching to fleece will remove the bedding mess but you'll still find poop and hay on the floor. There's really no way around it. Mine will climb the cage bars just to poop so it falls out between the bars. ._.

I have the bass pans and a litter box and it just depends on their mood where they pee & poo LOL

the metal bass pans are better for your chin then the plastic ones to begin with. The higher 2.5-3" lips will help keep it a little bit more clean around the cage. Past that the only thing you can rly do is cage guards. Which is just a piece of metal like the lip of the pan, that goes right above the lip of the pan. (Basically giving a much higher lip.)

Of course if you have chins like mine... they live to find a way around your methods just to make a mess..

I made some fleece "bumpers" that I attached tightly around the outside at the level of each of the shelves and perches. Also one that wraps around entirely for the 4 inches above the base pans.

Back