Photos of good feet calluses

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spodumena

Hello! I wondered if people would be willing to share photos of their chins' healthy feet?

I know that chins are meant to have some calluses on their feet, but I'm having a hard time finding *good* photos of feet. I'm finding a lot of photos of bumble foot or really soft pink feet (is this a result of having only fleece in the cage...? or just young chins?).

My chins are still young (nearly 7 months) and came to me with fairly soft pink feet, but the pine shelving in their house has definitely given them some calluses. They have a mix of pine wooden shelving, marble tiles, and fleece hammocks. I would love to have a good benchmark to go by to ensure their feet are looking as they should!

Do calluses ever get to a point where you put some bag balm on them, and if so, what will the feet look like? Or should I only be tending to them if I suspect there is a problem...?

Do calluses ever get to a point where you put some bag balm on them, and if so, what will the feet look like? Or should I only be tending to them if I suspect there is a problem...?

One issue i havnt had to deal with myself. But generally, unless you know its needed, big balm isnt something you need to apply randomly. But it is often used for dry skin. Maybe an antiseptic like blu-kote is if they have an open sore or cut.

Thanks - Yes I've been putting together a little emergency kit for them and have both bag balm and an antiseptic just in case.

Was just hoping people might have a better idea of what is a good/bad callus than I do. But so far no problems. The chins seem to do a good job taking care of their feet themselves.

Thanks - Yes I've been putting together a little emergency kit for them and have both bag balm and an antiseptic just in case.

Was just hoping people might have a better idea of what is a good/bad callus than I do. But so far no problems. The chins seem to do a good job taking care of their feet themselves.

from what iv seen, when the feet get overly dry they can split open leaving small little dabs of blood where they walk. In about 9 years between my 6 chins iv only seen it happen once.

Worth noting it can also happen if the entire cage is covered with to much soft stuff (fleece) and they have no hard surfaces to be one. (like wooden ledges) So while liners and pillows and what not can be nice, you dont want 100% coverage.

That is a very good tip - thanks. My chins have mostly tile and wood in their cage at the moment, but will keep in mind if I end up putting in more fleece!

Back