Oxbow food changing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godofgods

Many have been asking about Oxbox chinchilla pellets lately. Not being able to find them in stores and what not. From iv heard, oxbox chin pellets are being repackaged and undergoing a name change to Essentials Chinchilla Pellets. The pellets themselves are supposed to remain the same tho.

The sizes offered are changing too. The 5lbs bag is being discontinued. And it is being replaced with a 3lbs bag.

I looked around to see if Oxbow addressed that. If you're looking for the product in store or online, here's the link for the Chinchilla food.
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/type/detail?object=1535
Might help to know what their new packaging looks like! Also I noticed it said it's sold in 5 lb, 10 lb, and 25 lb, but that's just coming from their website. Might be different in store.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They changed the packaging on all their foods... My local stores never stopped carrying the other brands during this switch, they just slowly switched over as new bags came in. They don't even have the price tag for the chin food in the store and it's no longer on Petsmarts website, which makes me think they no longer carry it.

Also I have purchased the new bag elsewhere and I've found it online... It's not the Oxbow is switching packaging, it's that Petsmart no longer carries it.

I called them like two weeks ago about it and they said they would look into it and let me know... I never received a call back but the person I spoke to had trouble comprehending what I was saying, so who knows. ._.

It's not the Oxbow is switching packaging, it's that Petsmart no longer carries it.

Oxbow IS changing things. The food itself is the same, but both name and packaging. The reason some suppliers still have the old style, if u wanna call it that, is that they buy it in mass bulk to sell to ppl. So they have a reserve of it. Eventually it will run out tho. Hopfully by then the new one will be on the market again.

Oxbow_3lb_Chinchilla_Front.png

Just tried to look up some images. im guessing thats the old style packaging. I dont use this food so i dont rly pay attention to the packaging of it to much. But it looks familiar. If so then i guess they always called it essentials. Iv always heard it called oxbow deluxe tho :/

oxbowessentials.jpg

I'm not talking about the packaging changes. I have found other stores that are selling the new packaging, so that packaging is not the reason Petsmart is not selling it. Petsmart has never stopped carrying the guinea pig, rabbit, etc... They just got food shipped in the new packaging. They never went off the website.

The chinchilla food is not on the website or in the stores. I bought a bag from PetValu in the new packaging so it's out there... And you can see it online(on other sites, not petsmart) being sold in the new packaging. The new bag has been on the market since they changed it.

I'm just saying that Petsmart is not carrying it and it's not because of the packaging change. I could care less about what the bag looks like, I'm pissed that petsmart doesn't have it. Petsmart does not have the old or new bag, it's not online, it's not in stores... They stopped carrying it for whatever reason.

It's been Oxbow Essentials since I've bought it.

Here's a pic I took this week at my local PetSmart in California. Hopefully this is a sign that do plan to continue to carry it. Updated packaging and price tag sticking out saying new.

I've been buying this off Amazon for a while, 5lbs for $10, give or take. Were the ones at PetSmart before the update 3lbs or 5lbs?

EDIT: I don't think the site managed to process photos from my phone correctly. :/

Attachments

• IMG_2822.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 47
  • IMG_2823.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 46
I just checked Petsmart's website and they don't have Oxbow Chinchilla. Wow! Now neither Petco or Petsmart carry a good chinchilla food. I feel really bad for those that don't know a breeder and don't use the internet to order food.

I went to petsmart yesterday, and they only had the 3 pound bags, no 10 pound bag choice, and it was very close to the price it used to be. The kicker is, at least from what I saw, all the other small animal oxbow food choices were the same; they had 5lb and 10lb choices. I can't figure out if they (oxbow) did this because they were losing money on making 5lb bags, or they're GAINING MONEY because so many people are buying them, that even at 3lbs people would be desperate

A while ago I rec'd an email from my Oxbow supplier. This is part of it:

However, we will be transitioning our 5lb. Chinchilla food to a new 3lb. size to better align with the market as well as the feeding habits of chinchillas.

Many have been asking about Oxbox chinchilla pellets lately. Not being able to find them in stores and what not. From iv heard, oxbox chin pellets are being repackaged and undergoing a name change to Essentials Chinchilla Pellets. The pellets themselves are supposed to remain the same tho.

The sizes offered are changing too. The 5lbs bag is being discontinued. And it is being replaced with a 3lbs bag.

bump op

Back