How much milk should kits be drinking?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've looked everywhere for the answer to this question, and in the FAQ's for chinchilla breeding and babies, it says the kits should be consuming 2-3 syringe-fulls of milk, but is that an insulin syringe, or something else? I have a syringe that goes up to 5 ml, and my little Ash will normally drink about half before he loses interest. Is that enough, or should I keep trying to feed him more?

Thanks!

I don't think it does either. :( I'm feeding him about every hour and thirty minutes. His mom has two other babies, and he's the odd one out. He and his sister kept fighting, and I think he just gave up. All he does is sit in the corner. His mom just ignores him, and it's really sad. I have a scale, but it only measures every 20 grams and my parents haven't bought me a new one, so I just keep checking on him and praying for him.

2 mls is plenty per feeding. They have very tiny bellies which is why they need fed every 2 hours around the clock. He may eat more of less if he is nursing some off of mom. Have you tried rotating kits? I would get a better scale, they are cheap at walmart. Since mom has no interest in him you might be able to have one of you other chins 'babysit' in between feedings. The kit needs to stay warm and be stimulated.

Really? So he's not being underfed? Thank you so much for that... I was getting REALLY worried. I have tried rotating kits, but she just doesn't pay much attention to him when he's in there. And now, she's acting really stir crazy and fidgety, and I let her out to play for a few minutes just to see if she would calm down, and I noticed there is slimy blood coming from her anus... Is this normal? Or should I be worried about that too? The babies were born 6 days ago...

Again, not a breeder, so I wouldn't have thought 2mL was enough so I would have been just as worried as you are.
Defiantly get a new scale to monitor all the babies weights.
When you rotate the kits are you taking the other 2 out and putting the one you are handfeeding in alone with mom?
Bleeding from her anus is not normal at all, ever. She needs to see a vet.

I understand! :) and I will. Yes, I'm doing exactly that, and he is getting better! He's had so much time with his momma, and she's feeding him well. :) I scheduled an appointment with an exotic vet tomorrow at 2... I'll keep you all posted. :)

Back