Adopted a bonded pair and they get along with my chin I've had for 10 years!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuinChin

I was not expecting this but I've had them for about 7 months now and there have not been any issues. They all sleep together in one hidey house in a giant furry pile...it's adorable. Terrible picture but it's hard to get them all together. Bottom left is Guinness who I've had for 10 years and the top right is Papa (10) and Merlin (4). I think Guinness is really enjoying his new friends.

20140721_221543_zpswroy0jxk.jpg

awesome. Hope it continues to work out.

It looks like it must be a lot of fun telling the three of them apart. I have two the same as there color and that's fun enough. Can only imagine three'

Well it turns out Guinness has been a girl the past 10 years and not a boy like I was told. So I am now a proud parent of 2 baby chins. I can't believe it took this long for her to get pregnant though. She is unfortunately now separated from the males and both babies are male. I'm deciding whether I want to have her breed one more time and hope for a female so she can have a friend or leave her alone once her kits leave. Baby chinchillas are the cutest thing ever though, it's going to be so hard to see them leave once they are ready.

IMG_20140924_191003_zpsjprjvqjf.jpg

Personally, Id at least wait a little and get a handle on the change in number right now and focus on raising the two kits you have. Mom should get a break instead of breeding right away anyways, if one of the boys haven't already taken care of that. Remember you need cages in case of fights. Also, I wouldn't breed without pedigrees (especially if you aren't keeping the babies) and doing a lot of research into the can-go-wrongs and horror stories. I would hate to risk mom's life in a bad birth just because I wanted her to have a friend. Keep in mind another breeding could also just give you more boys, or a girl kit that doesn't end up getting along with mom. You can adopt/rescue/buy a girl too. Just stuff to keep in mind as you decide.

Two males and a female in a cage that long without problems. Thats pretty lucky.

When i saw the first pic i thought 'she must have a lot of fun telling them apart'. Now seeing those kits i imagine its only going to get more interesting lol

Kits can be a handful to raise. I would strongly suggest getting a baby proof cage. They can fit through 1inch bars like the dont exists. And they can do it for the first several months. Even past when you think they shouldn't be able to.

Now the question is... Who is the father!? :p

Oh wow what a shocker after 10 years! Lol
Congrats on the healthy little babies. They're cute!
It's great that everyone gets along. :cute:

Back