who would you rather have chin-sit?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbradley6

just a little chin-crazy!
a topic i will have to cross next summer for my vacation....

in your absence, who would you rather have chinnie-sit for you?

a. a family member/friend/roommate who isn't terribly knowledgeable about or familiar with chins, but you trust to care for your chinnie (and not steal your stuff)

or

b.) a very chin-knowledgeable person who you don't know very well (such as someone you met on chins-n-hedgies), but would know exactly how to care for your baby.

Use someone you trust and make sure they have a way of getting in touch with you when you are gone. Knowledge is not everything and in most cases will not be needed other than the instructions for care you give when you leave.

I have a super detailed list of instructions written out (sections for food, water, heat, etc.) and I go over everything very well with the sitter. Thankfully I have many pet-responsible people to choose from but I make sure I'm always contactable and 2 exotic vets and 2 24 hour vets to contact.

Definitely a, as all my trusted friends and family members are animal-freindly people in general, and would call if anything out-of-the-ordinary happened.

Chris, it's not a poll, it's a question. If you want to know what people think, fine. If not, don't ask. Your response was extremely rude.

Its a person who is responsible in their own life . That is the person i look for. I leave several ways to contact me. I inform my sitter with instructions with what to do with my herd in the event of a worse case scenario. My sitter knows no question is too stupid. Contact me anytime of the day. And I know my vet will handle an emergency with my credit card and keeping me informed. And I always tell my sitter my chin area can look like a tornado. It overwhelms her each day to see a mess. I let her know if I come home and it's messy, I don't care. Clean water, full feed cups and clean cages are priority. She gets it now lol.
In a nutshell, it's a matter of responsibility. And I also know things happen you cannot control while away. That's a risk I take while away. And it has happened.
You work for me , you bring your "A" game.
My husband watches them when I am away at shows. He calls me with questions. And did a fantastic job with a newborn. He is clueless with chins. But I can count on him.
Forgot to add my chin sitter is clueless with chins too. I just need the basics for care while gone.

Last edited:
I would go with A I guess, if the people in question were responsible as a whole. I usually leave pets with close friends or have them come look after the animals at home. I leave detailed instructions, vet contact #s, and go over things in detail before I leave, giving time to ask questions if need be. If possible I leave contact info to me in case they aren't sure of something.

My number one choice is my mom! She is very gentle and loving, and also knows how to take care of pets.

My roommate is a more convenient choice obviously because we live together! But also, she is a zoology major and has worked in a zoo for 5 years. She loves animals!

Someone I know & trust, but I'd leave them with a list of how-to's and be sure that they follow it lol

I go with a person I trust. When you are gone all needs to be done is feed water and watch temperature

I dont know anyone that has any chin knowledge period. So im screwed. And my mother is an imbecile. Shes not bright enough to even take care of herself. And see how bad her dogs are doing. So no way in **** i want to do that.

Only person i would trust is my dad, but alas, that option is gone. And im supposed to leave the state in a week or so for a few days. No idea rly what to do yet.

Back