Chin was trapped under ceramic bowl overnight

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainey

chinchuckles
When I was giving out treats to my chins a few hours ago, I realized one of my chins didn't come running and as I looked around her cage I couldn't find her at all. Then my heart sank when I noticed that the very large heavy ceramic bowl I keep on the floor of her cage was turned over....I pulled it up and she wobbled out. I didn't ever consider she could tip that bowl because it's so heavy.She felt slightly damp (she had urinated) and very hot, so I cooled her down and after I let her rest for a few minutes I brushed through her fur and gave her a dust bath. She perked up quite a bit after her dust bath and is now hopping around much more normally, but it scared me so badly! I don't know how many hours she was trapped and I am so happy she didn't suffocate.

I hand fed her some Lifeline and a tiny bit of Dyne. I am going to keep close watch tonight to make sure she eats and drinks. Anything else I need to look out for? Has this happened to anyone else's chin?

I had that happen once with a dust bath. My son thought he had pulled them all, but it turns out he missed one. She was trapped underneath it overnight. The next day I saw the pan, pulled it out, and there she was. She was a bit wobbly at first, I think mostly from being cramped. Air got in fine or she wouldn't have survived overnight. Made sure she was drinking and eating, gave her a wood chew, and she was fine.

Just watch for the usual chin activities but I'm betting she'll be fine.

I had that happen once with a dust bath. My son thought he had pulled them all, but it turns out he missed one. She was trapped underneath it overnight. The next day I saw the pan, pulled it out, and there she was. She was a bit wobbly at first, I think mostly from being cramped. Air got in fine or she wouldn't have survived overnight. Made sure she was drinking and eating, gave her a wood chew, and she was fine.

Just watch for the usual chin activities but I'm betting she'll be fine.

Thank you. There was absolutely no air flow for her, the bowl was flush with the base of the cage (a pan lined with fleece) so I think she just got really lucky. That bowl was so heavy and big there's zero change she could have gotten out on her own.

Back