Question and Advice

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smhluvsmh

Whisker Kisses Addict
I have a chin (2 1/2 years old) that was diagnosed with a URI 9 days ago. Symptoms were loss of weight (from 830g to 698g), a snort like sound when she breathes (only sometimes), nose swipes (more than the usual amount), and harder inhales (like she has a stuffy nose). Xrays showed lungs were clear, no sneezing, no coughing, no nasal discharge. We assumed we caught it early since these were the only signs. In fact, some were surprised that they even diagnosed it without more pronounced symptoms. She was given Baytril but because it was early and Baytril can be so hard on them, we opted for Trimeth-Sulfa. Today is day 9. She is no better but no worse. She is eating, drinking and playing (no dust bathes). At this point, do I go to the Baytril, go back and get another round of Trimeth-Sulfa? Could this be something else? Allergies? Asthma? Are those even an option? I am not hand feeding because she is eating on her own and not losing anymore weight. I was so encouraged because I thought we caught it early but now am perplexed. Help!
ADMINS: If this does not constitute an emergency, please move to the appropriate section. Thanks.

Pretty much whole body x-rays. Saw a different vet tonight. Still nothing remarkable on the x-rays. Says maybe her lungs aren't expanding all the way and that is causing the sound heard on inhale? But that does not explain the stuffy nose. Of course there are no snort like breathes at the vet. He suggested we go to the Baytril .15ml and start Metacam as an anti-inflamatory at .3ml.

Baytril is rough and the chin may stop eating for a long time, like weeks so be prepared. Its being stuck between a rock and a hard place, do you treat a URI that is not diagnosed or do you not do anything and the chin goes down hill over night, its a tough call, but since there is drastic weight loss something is going on, what and do you treat it with antibiotics is anyones guess. Me, I would treat it as a URI since there is no nasal discharge to check for bacteria to confirm, could it be allergies-yes, but do they cause weight loss-no.

Back