Dust baths, Foot soaks and Bandage Application

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screechy

Hi all,
My little Squid has some pretty bad bumblefoot from poor husbandry on the past owners part :banghead: So, the vet has directed me to give him an epsom salt soak once every 12 hours, followed by an antibacterial application and then cream (along with his antibiotics and anti-inflammatory/pain relief).

1. With such frequent foot soaks, should I increase how often I give him a dust bath? He currently only gets 1-2 dusts a week since I don't want his feet getting worse. Are there any precautionary things I should look out for with foot soaks? I know getting wet can lead to sickness in these little guys.

2. The cream doesn't absorb into the feet, so he vet suggested I hold him for 20-30 minutes while the cream sits. Squid gets grumpy just from 30 seconds of being held, let alone 30 minutes. Is there any way I could bandage his feet over the cream so he's not as stressed? Can I just apply bandaids? Is there a special way to bandage him?

Thanks everyone

I know epson salt can be used but since chinchillas feet are constantly around bacteria I prefer chlorhexidine soaks instead. Also what are the surfaces like in your cage? Pressure causes issues with healing so offer different types-fleece, solid, shavings etc, and keep those scrupulously clean during healing.

I know epson salt can be used but since chinchillas feet are constantly around bacteria I prefer chlorhexidine soaks instead. Also what are the surfaces like in your cage? Pressure causes issues with healing so offer different types-fleece, solid, shavings etc, and keep those scrupulously clean during healing.

The vet had instructed I do epsom salt soaks followed by a chlorhexidine soak, followed by antibacterial cream application.

The cage is fine, all fleece and apple wood. The vet said shavings aggravate bumbelfoot and should not be in a cage whatsoever in this scenario. He even said all wood perches should be covered in fleece. I have everything looked after concerning his cage though.

But both of my questions are still up.

1 - Should I increase dust baths since he's getting soaks every 12 hours? Is there anything I should look out for considering he is getting wet that often?
2 - How can I bandage his feet to reduce stress of being held so often?

I don't know about actual foot soaks but I have always just done more like compresses. Not sure how you can actually soak the feet without getting the belly wet? As far as bandaging feet goes I don't think you would have much success there. Plus if the purpose for the bandaging is to prevent him licking/ingesting the cream I would be afraid he would get the bandages off and still get it. Also I think that bandaging the feet would probably stress him just as much if not more than holding would.

Back