My hedgehog Sleeps a ton!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

AlexisMorgan

From what I see, he sleeps all day of course and then at night I will get him up and play with him for about 30 minutes to an hour. Then he goes right back to sleep and I don't hear him the rest of the night, and in the morning he seems to be in the same spot as when I went to bed.

Is this normal?
Is it natural because it's winter, and a bit colder?

How old is your quilled kid? Babies sleep a lot more than adults. Also what temperature is your hedgehog's cage? If it is not warm enough he could be sleeping more because he's starting to have a hibernation attempt.

My baby Mizy is 10 weeks old and all she does is sleep the passes few days shes been running on her wheel for hours then sleeps until around 11:00am then runs on her wheel until 1:00pm then sleep. She does this over and over everyday. Shes quilling now so i havent seen much of her.

How old is your quilled kid? Babies sleep a lot more than adults. Also what temperature is your hedgehog's cage? If it is not warm enough he could be sleeping more because he's starting to have a hibernation attempt.

-Well he is four months old. Im not sure of the exact temperature but I keep the room pretty warm and I have a 100watt heat emmitter over his cage.

It could be that he is still quite young and is sleeping a lot because of it. Have you had him for very long? Is this a new behavior or has he always slept this much?

You may also want to get a temp guage to monitor the temperature. Just to ensure that the heat emitter is keeping it warm enough.

It could be that he is still quite young and is sleeping a lot because of it. Have you had him for very long? Is this a new behavior or has he always slept this much?

You may also want to get a temp guage to monitor the temperature. Just to ensure that the heat emitter is keeping it warm enough.

I've only had him for a couple weeks, and he's done this ever since I got him.

thanks, I'll have to get one

I know this might sound like a stupid question, but does he have a wheel?

yes he does. Normally I only see him play with it is when I take him out and I'll take it out of the cage too and put him on it.

My hedgie sleeps a lot too. Like she eats normal, and I always wake up and there is poop in her cage, she just really likes to sleep, I have an under the cage heater. When I take her out to play shes asleep on my lap within 10 min. I do hear her up at night shuffling around, but not for very long.
I dont think shes going through hibernation, but she does sleep very often.

I bought my hedgie a Carolina Storm wheel and he's only six weeks old, it doesn't fit in his cage and he hardly uses it when I take him out. Now, does not having a wheel in his cage cause the constant sleeping, or is it just that he's a baby? Thanks !

There are a couple things going on:
- Babies do sleep more than adults. But babies do wheel. Even at 6 weeks if given one.
- Most hedgies use their wheels under the cover of darkness... when it's quiet and dark and still. So, if the only time he has access to it is when he's out, then he doesn't really have much of an opportunity to figure it out and run.

I would suggest figuring out a way to increase the size of his cage, seeing if there's a way you can adjust the wheel/wheel stand (ask Larry, I'm sure he can help with modifications), or swapping out the Storm wheel for a Bucket wheel (ie, a high-quality, but smaller wheel).

Back