Old male with females?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowflake311

So I have this old male I am nursing back to health he is old well over 15 years. He hates all the males I have tried to put him with. I was going to just let him live alone. Then I got this Idea to put him in with my females. I have some elderly females too.

I thought maybe get him fixed. He is so old. I could just keep him in a cage by himself. I could try to bound him to my other 2 males. I do not want to mess that up they are so perfect together.

Anyone have old male chins with ladies? Could this work? I do not want to breed so I think I just need to keep them apart.

I would just leave him alone. Chinchillas can breed their whole lives and breeding at that age could kill them. Not only would it be bad for the females (and you aren't wanting to breed anyway) but it could get him too worked up, the excitement could be too much for him. I don't advise trying to bond him with an existing male pair either, they could gang up on him, or screw up the current bond. At most I would try playtime with other males, it could let him socialize a bit if he gets along with them. Otherwise just give him lots of attention and love, and maybe a cuddle buddy stuffy (chin shaped or pillow).

Getting a chin fixed is not a simple procedure, it's very invasive and risky. Even neutering a male chin is more like a spay since the testicles are tucked up inside. It's not like getting a cat or dog fixed (though I've even lost a cat during a spay), you need to find a vet that can and has done it, and chins do poorly under anesthesia. Even young healthy chins don't always survive and it can require months of recovery before they are back to normal.

I have had males that old that are still breeding their females. Unfortunately he should stay alone if he does not get along with males. You could always offer a cuddle buddy (stuffed animal)

Thanks guys that is what I thought. I am just going to keep him alone. I could try and get him a pillow he can see the females so he is not really alone other chins are around for him to look at.

just a warning, sometimes a male being able to see the females but not be able to get to them can get them incredibly worked up and drive them crazy.You may have to block off the line of sight if that is the case. Iv had that with a couple males.

Back