Cuddle buddies/humping? Quarantine?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snarky

I feel like I'm posting all over this forum, sorry everyone! I'm trying to fill in the holes in my knowledge before these boys come home.

I read that males like to hump and that they should have stuffed cuddies to take their sexual frustration out on. How common is this? Is the humping normal, or is it something that should be cured with nuetering?

I sew, so I can definitely make them some toys for this purpose.

Is quarantine necessary? I own rats, and have not brought in any new rats in months. The chins have not been exposed to new animals. Is it okay to bring them directly home, or should I go ahead and set up a QT home? If so, how long? I know the minimum is three weeks with rats.

The humping is completely normal. Neutering can be dangerous so I am assuming that others will also tell you to just solve it with cuddly objects. Buddy has a stuffed panda. He got it after I had to change my sock one day...

He got it after I had to change my sock one day...

:rofl:

Rhino was being very 'affectionate' towards a dog stuffie i put out for playtime last night, and was super duper frisky after. i guess 'releasing tension' for chins is the same as us human beans, makes us happy after, lol.

I amazingly haven't had any problems with humping, but over "grooming" well lets just say the boys take it a bit to far sometimes!!!! LOL

i have a stuffed chinchilla (toy) that i got with an order of supply a long while back. My males completly ignore it. Tho their horney as ****.

Do chins act the same way towards pillow as they do a cuddle buddy? My guys have pillows and love to sit on them. Since, they have the pillow I was not sure that a cuddle buddy would be any different. Do they interact differently to a cuddle buddy then a pillow or is basically the same thing?

It usually doesn't matter what shape it is, as long as they can do what they want to it.

As far as quarantine goes, are these boys coming form the same place and have they been caged together already? If they come from the same place and have been caged together, quarantine will not be necessary. If they come from the same place but have been caged separately, you will need to due introductions and take it slow, but no quarantine. If they come from two different places, quarantine for 30 days, then do introductions.

Heh, I would say don't worry if they don't hump, either. My boy has never tried to hump anything (he's one year old), he has a cuddle buddy which he loves, but only snuggles with it.

The humping is completely normal. Neutering can be dangerous so I am assuming that others will also tell you to just solve it with cuddly objects. Buddy has a stuffed panda. He got it after I had to change my sock one day...

I usually am the one to point out that contrary to popular belief, neutering a male chinchilla is NOT dangerous , when done by a qualified, experienced Exotic vet.

I personally have had 3 males neutered successfully with only very minor complications.

The "humping" was not the problem -- humping is normal and natural for adolescent males.

Check the vet listings for your area to see if someone has recommended a good one.

I had to take the cuddle buddy OUT of one of my male's cage because it started to get so gross from the humping...! I would never consider neutering him though, that seems unnecessary.

Good luck with your new chins!

i noticed the humping when rutherford started to hump my girlfriend's arm when she reached in to say hello. i immediately bought a cuddle buddy, a hedgehog, from this one site that sells chinchilla supplies. it does its job, being humped and dragged all over the cage. but anything works really. even a square chew toy was humped on before the hedgehog arrived and assumed its duty.

but yeah, if you do get cuddle buddies, wash it during the day when your chinchilla is sleeping. rutherford gets sexually frustrated when hedgie isn't inside his cage during nighttime. poor guy.

Oh my goodness. This is crazy. All good to know though. I've got Coy coming home this weekend, and he's 7ish months. I shall be prepared

I have 2 males and I honestly don't see much humping behaviour from them at all. I have seen them try to hump each other for dominance during the first year that I had them, but they really don't seem to do that anymore... perhaps because they're mature now? They have never tried to hump any objects or people either, LOL!

Only one of my three boys is humpy. Oscar is happy to use his cuddle buddy most of the time but when he tries with me he's gentle. I had a rat who did the same thing and he'd bite my arm or hand really hard. Oscar has never done this so I thought I would mention it since I see you also have rats.

My chinchilla is about a year old and lately he has been having some humping issues. So I recently got him a cuddle buddy and it has been working wonders! Everytime I am done holding my chinchilla, he goes after his little buddy and humps it. It's kind of funny, BUT I am concerned because I think I read somewhere that chinchillas can run the risk of getting ring hairs after intercourse. Also, when he humps, sometimes he leave a weird scent. I wonder if that's normal?

Back