Chinchilla had a Kit unexpectedly

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosegoldinari

I've had Sasha for around 2 years and their cage mate, Mort, for about a year. When I got Sasha I was told they were a boy, same for when I got Mort. I even had the person at the shop double check that they were male.

Well, yesterday my wife found a dead Kit outside of their cage. Apparently a part of it was uneven and left open, which I fixed right away.

Sasha hadn't been letting us hold them/pick them up the past two or so months, and my wife thought they had been getting bigger, but we didn't think anything of it. Everything else was normal and they still let us pet them.

I'm calling the vet as soon as they're open to get more info, but for the time being I need advice on how to care for the mother Chinchilla.

I have them separated from and I know not to give them dust baths for at least 10 days. Im giving them things for calcium as well, 1/4 of a tum.

Sasha has been acting loving and is letting us hold her again. She's moving and running around as normal as well. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. I'm only posting because when I went to search online I kept finding things for taking care of the kit instead of the mother.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Back