Could this become a problem?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trish57

I've had my two rescue girls for about a year and a half now. JoJo is definitely the boss of the two, and has always humped Daphne at times. I'm not sure humping is the correct term; there is no movement once she gets on Daphne's back. And it mainly seems to happen when they are out of the cage, although that's when I'm usually with them when they are awake.

Twice in the past few days when they were out of the cage, Daphne was not having any of JoJo's humping, and she stood up to her. They stand facing each other, and one of the times they may have been nibbling the other's face. Their mouths were definitely touching, but I don't think either bit. No sound, and lots of running around afterward.

Could this lead to something bad or are they just playing? I've just never seen them do this before.

Thanks!
Trish

do they only do this while playing out of the cage? If so I would let them out separately for awhile. Something is irritating them - let them cool off with separate play

Thanks for responding Barb. I was hoping they were just playing a little rough.

As far as I know, the only times it has happened has been during playtime out of the cage. I usually let them out twice a day; once when I get up, and then in the evening after I feed them and scoop the poop. It hasn't happened again since I posted. I don't know if I have enough time in the morning to let them have separate time out, but I can do it in the evenings.

Back