constipation?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andymilo

hi everyone...i'm writing because i think my baby may be constipated...over the last 2 days his poos have gotten smaller and harder...i wouldn't say they are thinner though...i have made an appointment to see a vet tomorrow...this is my first time seeing this vet...she is 1 of the 2 vets that treats chinchillas on the island i am currently living on...she was also recommended by another vet...(i called every vet on the island to see which one treats chinnies)...i have read about constipation and i don;t think it was caused by any of the causes i read about...pax gets at least 2 hours of exercise every night, he has not stopped eating or drinking, i feed him both orchard grass and timothy hay...he is actually nibbling at some at the moment...which is why i am worried it is caused by some sort of blockage....i have read that dried papaya or pineapple or pineapple/papaya juice can help with hair balls....as i do not know exactly how experienced this vet is...i am hoping to get as much information from you guys as possible so i can go in prepared...any help would be greatly appreciated...thanks :)

also i was wondering what tests/procedure should the vet do in order to find out if it is in fact a blockage...and what shud she prescribe/recommend?

Doesn't sound like a blockage to me. Maybe see if the apple juice works and you won't need to go to the vet.
Do you know that chins under 6 months get NO treats at all because it can cause all kinds of digestive problems.

yep...at first when i got him....he was just under 6 months....i gave him a few raisins at most....but after joining CnQ i quickly stopped that...that was also back in late nov/early dec...(i got him nov. 22)...he hasnt got any treats of any kind actually since then...my parents are visiting me on the island in a week...and since it is almost impossible to find any healthy chinny treats here i have asked them to bring me rose hips, rolled oats, and botanical hay...luckily i am moving back to canada in june...i am looking forward to getting a bunch of things from everyone on this site....

oh also i am going to the store in the morning...should i get some dried papaya or papaya pineapple juice also?? if so how much should be given? i have read that people give their chins papaya as a preventative measures against hairballs? should i be doing this? i have also read about giving petramalt?? sorry for all the questions...i just wanna make sure i am prepared...

Last edited:
What is the chin's full diet please - can you list it for us?
Is he drinking ok? Is his urine dark?
It is worth making sure his water bottle is working properly and is at the right height for him to reach comfortably.

sure...he eats oxbow deluxe pellets....oxbow timothy grass...and oxbow orchard grass....his urine colour has always been surprisingly light....he drinks a lot of water...last night he peed on the tile during play time...so i was able to get a good look at his urine

yes he is...i counted 132 poos over night....but they are about half the normal size...we are going to the vet in a couple of hours....is there anything i can do in the meantime...or is there anything i can say to the vet in case she is not as experienced as she says??

Back