Water concerns..softeners...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani3264

Hi all,

Please excuse me if this topic has been covered...am still trying to perfect the searching and such on the forum...

I am anxiously looking forward to purchasing my first pair of chins this spring/summer. I am researching and purchasing supplies now.

I want to keep them as healthy as possible, of course, but this water issue is driving me batty...

We have well water. It is filtered. It has a UV light treatment, which would deal with Giardia. Problem tho, it then goes through a softener and I heard the extra sodium would not be good.

From what I have read, the only way around the extra sodium would be an RO system. I dont want to put an additional cost and filtering system in our house. None of the faucet filters would remove the sodium apparently...

So...the questions...
1. Opinions on the softened water..? and
2. I am willing to purchase bottled water, but again, confusion...purified bottled, RO bottled...have not shopped for bottled water at all, not sure what to pick if I go that route.

Thank you all for your patience and time in replying.

Anxious mommy :)
Danielle

im currently dealing with the same issue myself. I had lived in NJ on public water. I had to move to PA 1 year ago where i am on well water. The house has its own filtration system and uv light as well. I also use my PUR water filter on the faucet in addition to the rest.

I had water samples sent out to be tested. The mineral content here was a lot higher. The calcium and total hardness was nearly double here in PA. Dispute all the filtering. At the same time both of my boys are developing urinary/bladder issues. So i just went the other day to the store to switch them over to bottled filtered water. But there was only two kinds there (everything else was spring water). And one said right on the label 'minerals added'. So it rly narrowed my choice down to just one. Im still trying to find out more information on safe bottled water myself.

I have well water at my house, but don't trust it to give to my chins, unlike city water well water can have other organics in it, like the issue I'm having with tannin in the water, we recently got a PUR filter and it really made a difference in the water's appearance and taste. Anyways, Aquafina is a safe brand, but really any RO works. The water we drink is from a water cooler, so we buy the 5 gallon bottles of RO water. Most places that have water purification systems (grocery stores, Walmarts, hardware stores) that sell those 5 gallon refillable bottles also sell gallon jugs. The 5 gallon jugs are only a few dollars.

Thanks to you both for your replies and info.. I'm glad I'm not the only one going nuts with this...Errrrr :)

I was looking in Wal-Mart the other day at that bottled water...

I saw spring water...micron filtration, ozonation,and UV light.

Drinking water...RO.

Purified...RO OR distilled with extra stuff added.

and distilled.

So I am guessing that the best choice would be the drinking/RO water???

Dani

Back