Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Health & Hygiene
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Health & Hygiene Anything to do with the health or hygiene of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 05-15-2012, 05:36 PM United States

Chinchillas: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZChins View Post
Dirty cages can just reek even if the bedding has been changed out.
Definitely have to agree with this. I had no idea how dirty my chins cage was and always wondered why it smelled. Turned out it was filthy underneath, looked like nobody did a full clean in years. By far the grossest thing I ever had to clean.

Everyone is right though, cleaning is a part of having chins. I clean my chins cage everyday by shaking out the liners, brushing the shelves, then changing the liners and fleece every three days and washing the pan a few times a week with water/vinegar. Everyone who see's it says "wow, she doesn't smell at all".

I think you should put the chins in a cat carrier or whatever and wash out the WHOLE cage. If you can, bring it outside and scub it down with soap and water and throw out all the dirty stuff. When you get your liners, your going to have to sweep them clean every day and wash every few days. If you can't keep up with it, then you aren't right for chins.