Flying Saucer

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newchinmom

Family zoo keeper~
I landed 2 flying saucers from craigslist yesterday! Woohoo!
They're both in good condition, however, 1 of them has this yellowish build-up, I cleaned both with water+vinegar several times then just wiped them with warm damp paper towel. Didn't get the yellowish build-up off, so I used the rough side of a brand new sponge, after about 30 minutes scrub, about 1/2 of it came off, but I can't seem to get the rest off though...Does anyone know how to clean it properly? The guy who sold me the saucers told me, he used water+bleach in the past to clean, maybe that's why the saucers don't look "shining" anymore. This yellowish stuff is not rust...Can I apply rustoleum on saucers after it's cleaned? I'd appreciated if someone can give me some ideas, thanks!

picture.php

did you try using a magic sponge? one of the mr. clean ones. that gets EVERYTHING off anything lol so maybe it would work. ive never done it before... i'd just be sure to wash it again very well after so there weren't any more chemicals.

good luck! and congrats on the find, thats very lucky and cool :]

:heart: grace + noelle

Looks like Calcium deposits (from urine) to me. Try peroxide, personally I would use CLR but that is up to you.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll try both and see if I can get it off. I was thinking it looks like old urine deposits but wasn't sure. BTW, I put the other one in boys' cage, Jumble got right to the business and was running on it like a champ..lol. Bumble kinda use it as his picnic table..@_@. He would jump on it and let it spin while chewing a piece hay! And it's very quiet, other than a little rattling sound, all I can hear is titter tatter from Jumble's tiny feet!

Ok, so I tried to use peroxide, didn't work. I'm afraid to try Mr. Clean and CLR cuz I read some comments about CLR online, seems it's loaded with toxic chemical, I'm not too sure about Mr. Clean either. So, I ended up using metal scrub(wanted to try in the first place but afraid it will scratch the surface too bad), I applied very light pressure when scrubbing, after 30 minutes scrubbing/wiping, I finally got the build-up off! I didn't scratch it too bad, but I'm still wondering if I can apply rustoleum on it, like once every few months, just to keep it rust free and look good like one member here doing it for their bass pans(sorry I read it somewhere but forgot who that was..)??

I wouldn't paint the wheel. I've had the same saucer for years, and I bought it used. It's no longer shiny, and it has a few scratches. It's still works like a charm though. Even if you bought one brand new it would look the same way in a few years.

Ok, thanks Crysta. I will just leave it as it is. The original owner gave me the extra bearings so I can replace them if need to. I just want to make sure the surface where I scratched won't rust. =^_^=

I've only had my saucer a year now, but Tinkerbell is on it everyday, and you can visually tell that it is used. It may not be so pretty now, but as long as it spins and keeps her happy, that's all I'm concerned about.

Back