Washing Liners

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunsetBeauty

Slave to Many
Those that use fleece liners, what do you wash them with? I use baby safe detergent with a warm setting, then during the warm months, hang them outside to dry and during the winter, hang over a heating vent inside. I just don't think it gets the liners super clean.

So just curious what others use to wash them with. :)

I use laundry soap and add 1/2 - 3/4 cup of white vinegar and just thrown them in the dryer. They dry really fast. The vinegar removes any smell from them. Sometimes I use the double rinse cycle, but that is not every time.

First wash I use tide Coldwater with a little bleach. Then I wash them again in just water. I dry them on the "air fluff" setting.

This is a great thread! I always have trouble with the smell remaining in my liners, and then in the washer :p It's an older machine in my apartment, but it's in my actual apartment, so I can't use a different one every time :p

Vinegar is what I'm missing!!! I wash with tide on hot, then rinse once, then rinse again..once a week. The water bills is um.. yea......Going to try VINEGAR this week!

ohhhh....vinegar was the missing ingredient for me too. thanks!

Oh yea I always use the vingegar, also if your kids play sports and the lingering odor is on their clothes, you can throw the vinegar in the wash with their sports clothes. I also use vinegar to wash their wooden ledges, and litter pans too. I wash down the pans with it. The smell evaporates and makes it smell fresh.

I use All Free & Clear and a hot wash, then tumble dry on high.

I'm going to jump on the vinegar bandwagon! I don't use fleece liners, but Ralph does have other fleece items in his cage. I've just started using All free & clear to wash his stuff.

Arm and Hammer, little bit of bleach and then pop them into the dryer. So far no smells, but we change ours out every two days.

I'm definitely going to try the vinegar for the next load I use too! That's a great idea.

For those that use tide, arm & hammer, etc. do you use the scented or unscented detergent?

Thanks everyone!

This may sound strange in this day and age....

Is it possible to hand wash the fleece liners instead of putting them in the machine and hang them to dry? My parents don't like me putting it in there machine (they are on there last leg ie little bits of hay concern and they think its gross). So I have to always make a special trip to the laundry mat for the fleece. I honestly don't think I've ever hand washed anything before so I don't know if it works as well as a machine and therefore should be used on them...or if I could just wash them another way at my apartment. If anyone can help out my ignorance, I would be quiet thankful.

This may sound strange in this day and age....

Is it possible to hand wash the fleece liners instead of putting them in the machine and hang them to dry? My parents don't like me putting it in there machine (they are on there last leg ie little bits of hay concern and they think its gross). So I have to always make a special trip to the laundry mat for the fleece. I honestly don't think I've ever hand washed anything before so I don't know if it works as well as a machine and therefore should be used on them...or if I could just wash them another way at my apartment. If anyone can help out my ignorance, I would be quiet thankful.

I used to wash my scrubs for work by hand (since my work didn't provide enough scrubs to make a full load, and we HAD to use the ones with the monogram, and I didn't want to pay for a full load at the laundromat for less than a half load unless necessary...). I still ran them through the washer with bleach every month or two...

Probably the biggest problem with washing the liners by hand would have to do with the urine soaked into the fleece, though this may be less of an issue if you change them more frequently than I do (about once a week). I'd try to get most of the urine out first - I would probably put the liner on the floor of the bathtub and turn the shower on it to get most of the urine out. Then soak in handwashing laundry detergent (I always used Woolite, but there's probably others). Squash it around after soaking, build up suds, rinse. If really dirty, repeat. Rinse thoroughly. Could probably soak in vinegar water for a bit as well. Squeeze out well, hang to dry.

http://www.wikihow.com/Wash-Clothes-by-Hand has all the steps, though it seems to be geared toward someone who wants to do laundry-machine sized loads at once. It's a lot less work if you're just doing a couple things in the sink :p

oh wow- that viniger mad all the difference in the world for me. Thanks C-n-H!

Back